Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Getting Stuck in Outer Space

Since I started posting here I, unfortunately, haven't had any inspiration for a new drawing ... and it's bothering me. I made a resolve to draw everyday so that I can improve, however I got stuck after finishing the last one I did. I simply can't seem to find any new subject that I find interesting. And this is something that happens to everyone. So what do we do?
In one of the articles that I read about drawing recently ( unfortunately I don't have the link) I read something that stayed with me. The person who wrote it said that you can't come up with a new and exciting idea everyday, however drawing everyday is important. Her advice? Doodle! Draw any random thing that comes to mind or just mindlessly scribble on page. Let loose whatever's in your head at the moment. Practice drawing techniques like shading. It doesn't take much just shade a blank piece of paper from light to dark while watching tv. Let your hand do the drawing while you head is having the night off. This way you can do something lazy and relaxing while your hand commits some basic drawing style to muscle memory.
Another great advice - keep a sketchbook near your biggest distraction source, be it TV or the Internet or whatever.
Find a nice notebook that you like and bring it around with you. This way you can fit some drawing in the boring parts of the day.
Let yourself rest from drawing sometime. Occasionally you might just not feel like it. And that's alright, just remember - keep the creativity on at all times. So what if today when you sit down with pencil in hand in front of the blank white page, it just stares silently back at you. It's not the end of the world! Just go do something else. You can write or play music or sing and dance. Just keep on the creative side of the brain, keep working on it, keep developing it. Every little tiny bit counts.
Just go for it and have fun.
My Little Pony - Scetchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment